This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure here.
You are the answer to morning’s first light.
You hold the promise that today is going to be a good day.
With aromas of chocolate and currant, rich earthy notes and the bright song of citrus, you lift our spirits and open our senses to the world around us.
You motivate our dreams – and power us through them –
Tested by the elements, you teach us the joy of complexity, the worthiness of rough terrain.
You are stillness and abundance – the moment alone on a busy street, the joy in meeting a new friend for the first time, and the feeling of home, no matter where.
Dear coffee, we love you!
It’s here! My personal favorite time of year is finally here again – FALL! The cooler temps, the crisp air, falling leaves, boots, scarves, beanies, the decor, the smells, apple picking, pumpkin patches, hay rides, and Halloween! The best thing of all to accompany any fall day and activity is to have a delicious hot drink in hand. Pumpkin, pumpkin everywhere! I enjoy the always favorite pumpkin spice latte. Last year, to my dismay, I found out that those yummy drinks I love so much don’t love me back.
A 16 oz pumpkin spice latte contains 50 grams of sugar. That’s not all. It also has carageenan, an extremely reliable inflammatory agent and carcinogen. Some may even have caramel coloring. Traditional pumpkin spice treats can also do a number on your liver and digestive tract. EEKS!
Here is a quick and healthy alternative that’s quite tasty!
Organic pumpkin spice latte
1 cup organic cold coconut milk (make sure it’s the SO Delicious brand to avoid carageenan), almond, or regular milk
- 2 tbsp organic cooked pumpkin
- 1 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp organic pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic brewed coffee or espresso
- Brew the organic coffee. We purchase the whole beans and the Cuisinart Grind-and-Brew Coffeemaker makes grinding and brewing fresh, piping hot coffee a breeze! It’s one easy step without the mess. A huge thank you to my sister-in-law for gifting this to us! She has the most generous heart. Combine the coconut milk, pumpkin, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla in a small pan over medium heat until the milk is hot. Whisk vigorously to get the milk foamy for about 30 seconds. Pout the coffee or espresso into a large mug and add the coconut milk mixture. Sprinkle with a little extra pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!
I’d love to hear how this recipe turned out for you and if you have other healthier beverage options! Please comment below.